Skip to main content

100 Days of Reading


Gabby has been working extremely hard to improve her reading skills this year, which has really been a struggle for her.  So we worked extra at least 4 days a week doing reading lessons.  She decided she wanted to earn a trip to Great Wolf Lodge for completing the program.  We were so excited the morning of our trip because she had finished all of the intensive and challenging reading lessons and was officially able to read at a 2nd grad reading level.  However, things didn't go quite as planned.  Michael woke up that morning extremely sick to his stomach and was not able to join us to all of our dismay.



We had previously looked into inviting Emma and Brody since they live close by but it was going to double our cost to invite them and they were going to have to miss a day of school so Gabby and I invited Nanny and Corbin to join us.  Even though they were in the middle of a move and taking care of Grandma who just had surgery, they literally dropped everything and packed in 10 minutes and headed to meet us!

The trip started off rocky when we arrived, I lost my keys in the car but Michael (over the phone) helped me to calm down and got us all checked in.  Then I found my keys and Corbin and Nanny arrived.  We immediately went to the room and all dressed in our swim wear and headed to enjoy a few hours of indoor water park fun.  Unfortunately Corbin did not really like the water park so I scooped him up and bought him a magic wand.  He and his Mommy played with the wand while Gabby and I swam for another hour until she was tired and ready to get her "Harry Potter" wand as well.


We stayed up extra late waving our wands and magical treasure chests and pictures and had lots and lots of fun.  Corbin chased Gabby and gave her lots of hugs and kisses. To see them play together is the sweetest thing.

Even the next day Corbin never really warmed up to the water park but he seemed to like the arcade, wolf, story time and especially Gabby time with the magic wand.  They left much earlier than us because they had to get back to moving.  Gabby and I stayed at the water park for over 5 hours the second day and managed to enjoy every single water attraction they had to offer.  We even went down all 5 of the big slides.  Gabby is a thrill seeker and I think we both enjoyed it! Gabby said it was the best day ever.

Before heading home we decided to go see Aunt Sharon, Uncle Lee, and Emma and Brody since they only live about 15 minutes from where we were staying.  My phone ended up breaking so Gabby played with the kids while I had her phone connected so I could call in emergencies.  The trip wasn't what we planned but it was memorable and Gabby seems to really get that hard work pays off.

Gabby slept the entire trip back Monday evening and was ready to return to school the next day to tell of her Spring Break and Great Wolf Lodge adventures!

We are so proud of her diligence and the growth she has made in her confidence, reading skill level, and study skills this school year.  Gabby has truly become a "big kid" this year and we couldn't be any prouder of her!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. M
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.