Skip to main content

Reflections of 2017


Reflecting on this year has made me realize what an intense year it has been.  At the end of each hear I am always hearing people complain about their year.  I reflect and see that our year was on for the books for sure, but I see it as a year of growth and amazing events.  This year has been full of difficult times as well as many blessings.


Gabby turned 7 and she has become such a mature young lady!

Gabby lost her first tooth!
Throughout this year there have been wonderful events and numerous trying events in our lives. Here are a few of the highlights of the year:



Gabby learned to ride her bike with no training wheels!

Beauty & The Beast debuted on Gabby's birthday
 and we went to the movie and it was AMAZING!

Gabby completed a reading program and was reading on level so she earned a day at Great Wolf Lodge.

Gabby overcame her fear of swimming underwater and became a swimmer and received a trophy for "Most Improved."

We adopted a crazy kitten, J.J. Watt

Proof that we celebrated birthdays and every other fun time we could as a family.
Our house was on the blue line.  We were saved by a ditch from flooding.  So grateful.

Mike standing on the road directly behind our home (it kept rising)
during Hurricane Harvey
My sweet Uncle Charles, who was a kid at heart and all of the kids adore, passed away and I was trapped thanks to Harvey and didn't get to say good-bye at the funeral.  He will be missed immensely and it still seems unreal.

Mom & Dad moved right down the street from Uncle Charles and we all had a year
of extra time with him which was a blessing.  
Two days after Hurricane Harvey rain stopped we decided to go on our cruise as scheduled,
because work was closed and our hearts were heavy.

Gabby held a monkey in Roatan!

Surprise party for Jimmy!

We celebrated Grandma turning 80!
Gabby won a raffle at school and lost a tooth all in the same night!

Gabby says the Fall Festival is the best day of the year 
Corbin will have a BROTHER next year and
we are all as excited as he is in this photo.

It snowed in TEXAS! (Gabby's dream come true.)
My sweet girl donated a foot of hair to someone in need. Her heart keeps growing
and her kindness and compassion makes us so proud.

 Although wonderful things have happened this year many difficult thing have occurred as well.  My mom's best friend was diagnosed with cancer and lost one of her eyes to it.  My mom's thyroid has a growth on it again (even though it was removed) which is scary.  Then there was Hurricane Harvey which flooded almost my entire city and this type of flooded is believed to only happen once in one thousand years.  Our house and business were spared from flooding, though the flood definitely put a damper on our business.  I lost my Uncle Charles. Gabby was diagnosed with dyslexia.

The most difficult is Jimmy.  He has had serious health issues this entire year.  His hip was replaced and he was feeling so much better and then his health began to decline and he's been in out of the hospital since this summer, scary times especially lots of prayers while he went through many surgeries.  We try to make the times together enjoyable and to remember to find the good and enjoy each day that is given to us all.

Although this year has given us many things to worry about, we have chosen to celebrate the good.  Mom's friend is doing well and enjoying life.  My mom's doctors believe her thyroid is nothing to worry about. Our house did not flood.  Gabby can get the help she needs to build her confidence in reading. I am going to be an aunt again! Jimmy is still here and we cherish every day with him.  This year has taught my family to rejoice in our lives and celebrate our families.  We work hard at stopping to enjoy each other and make memories whenever possible.
Before Jimmy's first surgery we all gathered and had a weekend of silly fun which
 included attempting to ride an electric scooter (the highlight of the weekend).



2017 was an intense year and my resolution for the next year isn't really a resolution at all: My plan is to keep living life to the fullest.  Thanks to Michael and his big heart and free spirit I know we will do well at this.  Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

A Fun Filled Christmas Season

This Christmas season has been a very busy one for our family.  I have hosted a party and been to a numerous parties.  Gabby saw Santa Claus twice, made gingerbread houses, saw a performance of the “Gingerbread Man” with puppets, made a gingerbread man and ate it, counted down the days until Christmas with an Advent Calendar, made Mary, Joseph, and Jesus figurines, and went to look at Christmas lights a few times while belting out Christmas songs.  We did not forget the reason for this season.  No matter what we were doing, I tried to incorporate and tie it back into Jesus’ birth and the true meaning of Christmas.  Even Mr. Elfis tried to show Gabby that this season is about Jesus.  He read a Christmas Story one day and prayed over a nativity scene one day. Mr. Elfis enjoying a roasted marshmallow Gabby "helped" make cookies for the party I attended Mess maker, the only way to have fun As a treat, I bought Gabby, Grandma, and I tickets to the local Nutcra