Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving


This Thanksgiving reminded me very much of a few Thanksgivings Michael and I had early in our relationship.  I remember one Thanksgiving when he was working on a rig and wasn't supposed to get to come home at all, but he managed to be given a few hours to sneak away and come and celebrate with his family. It had been weeks since I had seen him so it was the best of gifts to spend even just a short amount of time with him.





This year we have been blessed with Michael having a job (which is saying at lot for the oil industry at the moment).  However  with the growth of his company over the last few months there has been growth in his responsibilities.  Michael has been traveling, but always manages at least one day a week home with us. Gabby and I miss him very much because some days when he is home he arrives here after Gabby is asleep and before she awakes.


Gigi consoling the girls after a little 'tiff'.  Blakeleigh was standing in front of Gigi telling her, "I need you Gigi. Hold me." I think she was a little jealous of Gigi holding the other two girls.  When Gigi offered for her to hop in her lap she refused because she wanted 100% of Gigi's attention and wasn't willing to share.
This year we planned on spending Thanksgiving with Michael's family in Dallas. Then on Saturday we were to have the traditional belated Thanksgiving celebration at Aunt Donna's home.  It was the first year Aunt Sharon was having Thanksgiving at her home and we were excited to be part of it; however, Michael was expected to be on a rig for Thanksgiving day and the days following the holiday.  We had to call and cancel on the entire family.  Gabby shed tears of disappointment.  Michael and I tried to contemplate different ways to make it work, but we could not come up with a reasonable solution.
Corbin's first turkey leg.



At 11;00 p.m. the night before Thanksgiving the rig called an informed us that Michael would not have to be there until the following morning, hooray! Since it was already so late we couldn't make it to Dallas, but Michael insisted Gabby be with cousins on Thanksgiving so she wouldn't be disappointed.

The next morning we drove up in Gigi's driveway and surprised the family (and ourselves) with a day trip to Lake Charles.  It was a very peaceful and relaxing visit.  Gabby enjoyed playing with Blakeleigh, Katie, and Carly.  My cousin Ryan announced he and his girlfriend were engaged! We also celebrated my godfather, Uncle Jay's birthday.  All and all we had a fabulous impromptu Thanksgiving celebration, birthday celebration, and engagement celebration rolled into one!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. M
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.