Skip to main content

Halloween & Another Kitty Costume


Halloween this year was a whirlwind.  I had plans. Big plans, but life happens and plans change. Gabby had early release on Wednesday and Thursday this week.  We had every moment scheduled, but our schedule changed. We were blessed to have Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Sharon come for a surprise visit.  I wasn't getting much sleep and so I wasn't 100%. Wednesday Gabby spent the day with Mommy visiting with Aunt Sharon and Grandma and Grandpa once out of school. On Thursday, we still managed to spend one day with Aunt Sharon and even take her to the airport after Mommy got off of work.  Then we went to Uncle Mark's new apartment and picked up some clothes for him (Gabby is in LOVE and wants to move in immediately).  Then the fun began.  She got to  paint a black cat for Halloween and then got a Gigi's cupcake (eating nothing but the frosting).  Somehow she later convinced me to take her to the farmer's market for perusing, then some cartwheels in a field, and finally playing princesses in town center.

Gabby walking in the parade next to her teacher (who was also a cat)
After the parade getting ready to go back in the school

Abby in the parade (Gabby's BFF)




Thursday night we laid out Gabby's costume for the school costume parade the next morning.  Unfortunately, Gabby was up most of the night with a tummy bug and Mommy taking care of her.  She never complained that she felt bad, but she continued to get sick. I allowed her to get dressed in the morning (with hardly any sleep) and I dropped her off for the parade which began as soon as school started. She walked in the parade and then came home and stayed with Grandma while Mommy worked.  My sweet girl didn't really eat all day, but enjoyed being allowed to have special drinks such as Gatorade and orange soda.  She was her sweet chipper self.  Once I was home, Gabby spent the day snuggling with Grandma and Grandpa and watching too much television.


The fourth night of no sleep.  Friday night Mommy did not get much sleep due to tornado warnings on the alarm every thirty minutes.  The weather was terrible and we woke up to flooded streets.  We all feared that the water would not recede in time to pick up Cate, Reagan, and Molly for trick-or-treating.  Michael and I went to all of the grocery stores and they were out of pumpkins, can you believe it?!  Everything fell into place.  We went to the pumpkin patch at a nearby church and even though it was muddy they were open (this was on the agenda for the week so I was excited that we continued the tradition).  On top of getting to pick out a pumpkin from a plethora of over grown gourds, we also got it for half price!



 Grandma and Uncle Mark got the girls all a pumpkin at a different patch.  The girls had already carved a pumpkin, so they opted to paint their pumpkin.  Gabby hadn't so we designed her pumpkin (She drew it on her own) and then she and Daddy carved it.  Can you believe it? Over protective Daddy allowed Gabby to carve with a real knife! Naturally since all of her cousins were painting their pumpkin Gabby also painted hers.  The final result was a traditional looking colorful jack-o-lantern.  Daddy said it was the best one we had ever carved!

Finally we ate pizza and got ready to head into the cool misting night.  Grandma and Papa came to see Gabby and the girls in their costumes.  Then Grandma, Grandpa, Mommy, Daddy, Uncle Mark, and Aunt Danielle headed out to start an adventurous night of trick-or-treating.

Let's get this show on the road! Unwilling to pose for a photo. (Notice crazy cat baby even has a cat bag)



The girls ran from door to door getting candy.  Molly held a lantern to feel safe and Gabby occasionally requested my hand or a "big girl's" hand to feel safe.  Gabby attempted going through a haunted house with Abby and Katelyn, but ran back out. She decided to wait in line and try it again, and made it through with Daddy's help.  We also bombarded Aunt Kasey and borrowed her restroom and took a few bottles of water to survive the walk home.  All and all the was a success. The girls enjoyed sorting their candy and putting the types they didn't care for in a 'for sale' pile (sharing with each other).  They stayed up extremely late and ate too much candy and then slept in.  I love that the grandparents got to be part of the festivities!





Gabby met her friends at the haunted house

Making the ultimate fort for the girls to tell spooky stories and eat snacks after a night of trick-or-treating



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. M
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.