Skip to main content

Princess Kitty on Halloween


Halloween would have to be one of Gabby's favorite holidays so far.  She prepared for a few months by watching "Bubble Guppies Haunted House" and I must say she loves pretending there is a g-g-g-ghost!! Oh no it's just Bubble Puppy.  This is a game that is played probably 20 times a day.  Gabby also likes to turn lights out to make it dark and spooky.  I asked her what she wanted to be for Halloween after watching the show one day and she took a moment to think and then decisively exclaimed, "a princess kitty!"  I was thinking I was going to have to create a costume from scratch, but we were lucky enough to find one at the store that meet Gabby's criteria.

The day of Halloween finally arrived after numerous mini-pumpkins were painted, costumes were broken in, and spooky pretend play was completed. Gabby wore one of the many Halloween shirts Grandma made her to go to story time at the library.  To my surprise everyone was dressed in their costumes, so Gabby insisted we go to the car and put hers on immediately (luckily I brought it with us)!   We participated in the small "parade" of giddy toddlers walking through the library with their mommies pointing to other children's costumes.  We returned to the story time room, sang songs, read a story, and made a simple hat craft for the kids.  Gabby loved getting to see all of the monsters, princesses, and various other animal costumes.  When we left it was barely 11:00 a.m. and Gabby was pumped for her day of Halloween treats to continue. 

Honestly, the rest of the day was a blur. I tried to have Gabby nap but she was too excited.  We wasted the day away excitedly.  She had no idea what was to come, but she did know that "trick-or-treat" were the key to whatever magic occurs on Halloween.  Finally, Grandma, Papa, and Daddy were home! We ate dinner and then got Gabby dressed and ready for her night of adventure.

We took her outside and took pictures of her by her pumpkin. Then she took a moment to go  up to Papa, sit is his lap, and say, "Papa, I like you horns."  We all of course were in an uproar of laughter.  How cute can she be?  By the time 7:00 the sun started setting and the little ghouls and goblins started to show their little faces.  We waited until a few groups of children came by and then we started the mile trek of collecting candy and stopping to say hi to friends.  I believe there were only two houses Gabby was unsure of, but with Mommy or Daddy's hand she summoned the courage to at least walk up the house and collect her delicious treat. 

Her favorite house, I would have to say she was truly in awe, was one of our earlier houses, was a family dressed up as the "Wizard of Oz!" Dorothy was there!  The Tin Man was there! The Scarecrow was there! The Lion was there! Toto was even at Dorothy's side! When we left the house, Gabby rattle on about how amazed she was with her celebrity encounters....well, until we arrived at the next house.  Then all was forgotten and it was back to work!

We had a very successful night, no crying and only a few pieces of candy consumed (by Gabby at least).  She was exhausted and fell asleep the moment her head hit the pillow.  I don't think we could have asked for a better night of wholesome Halloween fun. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. M
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.