Skip to main content

"Orange" You Glad I said Trick or Treat?

Halloween morning Gabby was exceptionally picky about her breakfast choices.  I tried the usual: eggs, a bagel, cereal, banana, yogurt, but these were all unacceptable options...what did my little pumpkin desire? Mandarin oranges and a slice of American cheese.  She refused to eat anything but orange foods for the first half of the day, a coincidence....I think so, but still it's pretty funny.  After an orange lunch of macaroni and cheese and sweet peas (she picked out all of the sweet peas) she finally got over her "orange" binge, but only because she found desirable red candy!

 She found a bag of Mars candy bars and littered the floor with her treasures. After about 45 minutes of working diligently to open a Kit Kat candy wrapper she finally was rewarded with the sweet chocolaty crunch that a Kit Kat bar indulges us with.  Gabby ate about half of it with no reservations and then enjoyed her sugar rush. 

The rest of the day was uneventful (except that Gabby's new favorite phrase is "oh man!") until Daddy got home from work.  Then it was time to cook dinner and get dressed for Halloween pictures.  Gabby seemed fine with her Halloween costume since it was comfortable clothes and then beads which she loves.  We took pictures outside, where Gabby encountered he pr first children in costumes.  When we went inside to get her "cigar/cigarette box" made with candy of course, she stood by the door and watched the children play with a ball in our front yard.  She rushed out the front door once Michael and I managed to get her little box on correctly.  We briskly carried her to some nearby greenery to take the pictures as Gabby proceeded to tear off each piece of candy.  We snapped a few shots of her with her little candy/cigar box and then took it off before she reached the bubble gum. 

Once we sat down for dinner (which Gabby had already eaten) Gabby exclaimed, "all done" the moment Papa got up from the table to give the early trick-or-treaters their treat.  So of course Gabby was glued to the door until it was time for her to begin her trick-or-treating trek. 

Gabby walked/rode around the block saying "trick-or-treat" in the tiniest voice I've ever heard come from by gabby baby.  Grandma and Great Aunt Ellen walked to the first two houses with us and then we met "Aunt" Kasey and she walked half of the block with us.  Gabby enjoyed watching all of the costumed children walking near us.  The only time she appeared scared was when we walked through a blown up haunted house that had a strobe light going, she was clinging to me and wasn't interested in candy from that house. 

Once we arrived home one of my friends, Shirrell, came over with her son and Gabby played ball with him and took his candy out of his bucket.  Gabby enjoyed a sucker, but otherwise didn't eat any more candy and was asleep by 9:00.  I think Halloween was a holiday Gabby really enjoyed and will grow to enjoy more and more each year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. M
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.