Skip to main content

Labors of Love





So around 2:30 in the morning on March 17th I started having a contraction an hour, and knew that there would probably be a baby in the next 48 hours. I let Michael sleep because I slept too except for the labor pains once an hour. Then, once Michael got up around 7:00 (he got to sleep in that day) I told him I had been having a contraction an hour and then of course had one. Michael said he knew it was different than the contractions I’d been having all month. He threw his keys in a pocket, found a watch for me to time the contractions, and left (because I insisted he go to work this kind of labor could last for days). By the time Michael left I was having a contraction every 30 minutes. I called my mom and asked her to take me to the doctor as soon as they opened. My was of course, very excited. I packed the finishing touches in the suit case and we loaded it up when Mom arrived. By the time I saw the doctor at 9:30 my contractions were 5 to 7 minutes apart, the doctor said I was 3 cm dilated and that I could go to the hospital to get an epidural. He would check on me at 12:00.
*The funny thing about this statement is the week before the appointment I told Mike I hoped the doctor would check me on Wednesday and tell me to go to the hospital. Mike told me to be realistic and just hope I was 3 cm dilated. I guess we both got our wish!We met up with Michael and went straight to the hospital. By the time we got the hospital my contractions were 2 to 3 minutes apart and I loved the man who gave me an epidural at 11:15. Life was easy once I had the epidural. My doctor thought by the latest I would have the baby at 2:00, but by 4:00 I had been dilated to 9 ½ cm for 4 hours. He said he would give me until 5:00 and then I would have to have a caesarean section. Mike and I looked at each other shocked, everything had gone perfect. He did a great job of explaining the reasoning and 10 minutes later he came back in my room and said alright lets go have a baby! Mike and I were not sure what was going on. People swarmed around me and they threw scrubs at Michael. He was hopping down the hall chasing my bed while putting scrubs on. They made him go in a waiting room and brought me in the operating room. Michael was allowed in the room basically as they were pulling Gabby out of me. It was a whirl wind. From the moment I was rolled into the operating room to the moment I was rolled out was 13 minutes. Michael said The doctor threw his hands up like a calf scramble and said done! (he was just kidding). Mike overheard the man assisting my doctor say, that was the fastest C-section I’ve ever done. My doctor replied, nah I’ve done one in 12 minutes! So in 12 minutes Michael and I went from DINKS (double income no kids) to parents of a healthy beautiful baby girl!! I only had to wait 4 hours to truly hold her and examine every little body part. But while they stitched me together again Michael went with our little one and showed her off. That was our exciting experience and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. M
Gabrielle Elyssa McIlroy 7 pounds 6 ounces 19 3/4 inches long!

Interesting Fact

Today I went to the doctor for my now bi-weekly appointment. This is only the second time he has gotten out a measuring tape and measured my engorged stomach. My boss was talking about how interesting it is when they measure you...so I asked my doctor about it today and it's true! Whenever you are in your 20 something week and further along until very close to the end of pregnancy the number of centimeters from your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus should approximately be the same as the number of weeks pregnant you are. This week I was 28 centimeters and I am 28 weeks! So Gabrielle is right on schedule.