Skip to main content

Pants on Fire!

Apparently Gabby officially lied for the first time last week.  I don't mean she said "yes" when she meant to say "no", or "no" when she should have said "yes," I mean she came up with a story to get her way! I am in trouble if my barely 2 year old has figured out that there are ways around the truth, especially because she found it quite amusing that her fib achieved the goal she desired. 

Every time my Aunt Ellen comes to see Gabby she brings fruit snacks because Gabby warms up to her instantly and it's entertaining to see her all sugared up (normally I don't allow her to have sugary snacks like that but special occasions are fine). This time when Gabby was grubbing down on her sugary treat Aunt Ellen asked if she could have one.  Gabby looked at her with her sweet chubby cheeks and said, "No, Gabby medicine."  Aunt Ellen could not contain herself and laughed hysterically.  Really can you blame her?  Have you ever heard a barely 2-year-old come up with such a logical and elaborate lie?!? Needless to say, Aunt Ellen did not get a fruit snack.  When Papa arrived home Gabby was given another package of her favorite fruit snacks.  Papa asked if he could have one and Gabby said sure and shared sweetly.  Aunt Ellen found this amusing so she asked if she could have one.  Gabby's response?  "No, medicine."  I was not there but I imagine there was a lot of hooting, knee slapping, and laughing from all three of the adults present.  I don't think a lesson was learned during Gabby's first fib.  Scratch that, Gabby learned it's hilarious to make up stories when she wants to do something different than what she knows is expected of her.

I am not concerned about this fibbing incident, but I am really curious whether Gabby will share with her Great Aunt Ellen (recently dubbed Gram E by Gabby) next time she is here.  Gabby has a stellar memory so I imagine she will inform Aunt Ellen that her candy is "medicine" once again, because she knows Aunt Ellen finds it amusing.

Gabby never seizes to amaze and surprise me.  The fact that she lied isn't surprising, children have very vivid imaginations and will do whatever it takes to get her way.  The fact that she came up with a logical reason her treat could not be shared is what surprises me.  Gabby frequently sees Michael suck on cough drops and Gabby always asks about them.  We simply tell her they are Daddy's medicine so only he can have them. I am impressed she generalized this statement into an effective way in her life so quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Eve Elf Shenanigans

I thought we would give you a glimpse of some of the silly things Mr. Elfis (our Elf) did Christmas Eve before returning to Santa Claus.  We went to Dallas on Monday and luckily our elf (who Gabby named Snowball, then Snowball Snow Flake, but whose name is really Mr. Elfis) hopped in a car seat so he could make the journey safely to Grandma and Grandpa's and meet Ralphie, Emma and Brody's Elf. Here are the shenanigans they got into while waiting for Santa to arrive and while we were all asleep: Proof that the elves took these photos all by themselves.  If you look closely between the first two photos you can see Mr. Elfis' hand move pushing the button.   Snacking on the kid's gingerbread houses. Drinking Gabby's milk hanging upside down. What were they thinking?! Soaring with the eagles (Gabby's favorite bird). Ralphie riding a horse. Ralphie sneaking in a stocking. Mr. Elfis sliding down the banister ...

My 3rd Mother's Day

It's hard to believe that Sunday was the third time I've been able to celebrate Mother's Day.  This Mother's Day was especially special because I became a godmother to Aiden and Addison, some of our closest friends two children.  We woke up that morning got dressed and headed to church to watch the baptism of some of the cutest kids I ever met.  They church had us sit in the front row for ease of baptizing, but it made it far more difficult for us to contain our kids.  The baptism was at the very beginning of the sermon.  Less than 5 minutes after the baptism Gabby made a noise talking to Daddy, (I doubt the people next to us could even hear) the minister came up to me and offered to show me where the day care was.  She was very polite and sweet, but I knew I could not exactly refuse.  I have never left Gabby with a stranger, not for 30 seconds, so I walked in to the nursery and Gabby instantly began coloring.  Once Addison appeared (because the m...

Two and a Half!

It has been far too long since I've written because Gabby has been keeping me busy (not to mention Mike being gone more means I am busier all around).  Today to celebrate Gabby's 2 1/2 year mark I will give you a little insight into the milestones she has met: Gabby can snip paper She talks constantly in complete sentences: "Mommy you my best friend. Come here and play with me!" were her phrases of the day The funnies words she says: peanut butter, balloon...basically anything with an "l" in it Gabby can ride a tricycle Gabby can navigate and i-phone, find her apps, and play them Gabby can put on her own socks and shoes She can eat with a spoon and fork without any help She can color with paper She can count to 11 She knows all of her shapes She know how to spell stop She can pick up after her own spills (when she wants to) She has an imagination She knows words that I have never said to her She can do basic puzzles She can problem solve ...