Skip to main content

Bedtime Story


Since Gabby was very small we've had difficulty getting her to go to sleep without a lot of tears from her and heartache for us.  We've tried Super Nanny tactics, my doctor's recommendations, a thousand ways we've read about on the internet and still it's the same fight every night even though Gabby has had the exact same routine for a year and a half (which is 75% of her lifetime) and the result is always the same, a crying baby.  (There is one way to get her to soundly go to sleep and that is allowing her to go to bed with milk, but I would rather her cry a little each night than to have teeth with cavities.)

A few nights ago something finally clicked in my head. I try not to be too much of a speech pathologist to Gabby because I am her mommy and she is developing normally so I try to think in mommy mode rather than SLP mode.  Desperate I thought what would I recommend to another Mom at work and it clicked.  Any time a parent is having a serious difficulty with a transition or necessary routine in a child's life I suggest writing a social story, which is a fancy way of saying: write a story of the routine you need improvement with and tell the child how they are expected to feel.  As soon as we laid Gabby down I eagerly wrote the story using pictures I found from the internet clip art selection.  I plan on using pictures of Gabby throughout the story but until we have time to take those pictures these pictures will work.

Michael printed the pages the next day, put the pages in order and folded it into a book.  So in a little over an hour of effort I had a life altering book.  We've only used the book two nights and tonight Gabby actually laid down when we put her in the crib and she gave a cry of protest, but never made a sad noise afterward.  Amazing! I hope it's not too good to be true and I know some nights will be easier than others, but if most nights can end in nothing more than a whimper, I call it a success. 

In case you are curious about how to write a social story here is Gabby's.  I wrote it in a free template from word and the story was twelve pages including the title page.  I tried to make each page only have about two sentences to maintain her attention. It's nothing to brag about but it's made a huge difference with only an hour of effort. (Sorry it's not a picture of each page, but I didn't feel right posting the pages since at the moment they are pictures borrowed from the internet).

GABBY GETS READY FOR BED

Gabby is getting ready for bed.  First she takes a bath.
She loves to splash and play in the bubbles.

After Gabby’s bath she likes to put on her pajamas.  They are comfy and help her sleep better at night.

Gabby likes to watch her favorite show with Mommy and
Daddy and read books before she goes to sleep at night.
Gabby likes cuddling with Mommy and Daddy
until it’s bedtime.

Gabby is ready to go to sleep now.  Gabby hugs and kisses Daddy and tells him goodnight.  Gabby is very sleepy now.  She hugs and kisses mommy and tells her goodnight.
Gabby hugs Meow and cuddles with her blanket because she is so sleepy.  Gabby closes her eyes and falls to sleep so she can be ready for a fun day tomorrow.
Gabby did a good job and did not cry when Mommy and Daddy left the room.
Mommy and Daddy went in their room and went to sleep.
The next morning Gabby wakes and Mommy hugs her
and says good morning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Eve Elf Shenanigans

I thought we would give you a glimpse of some of the silly things Mr. Elfis (our Elf) did Christmas Eve before returning to Santa Claus.  We went to Dallas on Monday and luckily our elf (who Gabby named Snowball, then Snowball Snow Flake, but whose name is really Mr. Elfis) hopped in a car seat so he could make the journey safely to Grandma and Grandpa's and meet Ralphie, Emma and Brody's Elf. Here are the shenanigans they got into while waiting for Santa to arrive and while we were all asleep: Proof that the elves took these photos all by themselves.  If you look closely between the first two photos you can see Mr. Elfis' hand move pushing the button.   Snacking on the kid's gingerbread houses. Drinking Gabby's milk hanging upside down. What were they thinking?! Soaring with the eagles (Gabby's favorite bird). Ralphie riding a horse. Ralphie sneaking in a stocking. Mr. Elfis sliding down the banister ...

My 3rd Mother's Day

It's hard to believe that Sunday was the third time I've been able to celebrate Mother's Day.  This Mother's Day was especially special because I became a godmother to Aiden and Addison, some of our closest friends two children.  We woke up that morning got dressed and headed to church to watch the baptism of some of the cutest kids I ever met.  They church had us sit in the front row for ease of baptizing, but it made it far more difficult for us to contain our kids.  The baptism was at the very beginning of the sermon.  Less than 5 minutes after the baptism Gabby made a noise talking to Daddy, (I doubt the people next to us could even hear) the minister came up to me and offered to show me where the day care was.  She was very polite and sweet, but I knew I could not exactly refuse.  I have never left Gabby with a stranger, not for 30 seconds, so I walked in to the nursery and Gabby instantly began coloring.  Once Addison appeared (because the m...

Two and a Half!

It has been far too long since I've written because Gabby has been keeping me busy (not to mention Mike being gone more means I am busier all around).  Today to celebrate Gabby's 2 1/2 year mark I will give you a little insight into the milestones she has met: Gabby can snip paper She talks constantly in complete sentences: "Mommy you my best friend. Come here and play with me!" were her phrases of the day The funnies words she says: peanut butter, balloon...basically anything with an "l" in it Gabby can ride a tricycle Gabby can navigate and i-phone, find her apps, and play them Gabby can put on her own socks and shoes She can eat with a spoon and fork without any help She can color with paper She can count to 11 She knows all of her shapes She know how to spell stop She can pick up after her own spills (when she wants to) She has an imagination She knows words that I have never said to her She can do basic puzzles She can problem solve ...