Skip to main content

Alphabet Time


Gabby's favorite alphabet song by Tilly and the Wall from Sesame Street.

For a few months Gabby and I have been working on her letter recognition. She already knows "o" thanks to a shirt I wear to bed. I haven't decided whether she should learn them in alphabetical order, or the letters in her name first. Until the last week she has shown no interest in looking at her name written or singing songs about her name (songs include spelling her name to the tune of "Bingo," a song one of her toys sings spelling her name, cheering, the typical alphabet song, the one from Sesame Street, and random tunes I've made up), but I am proud to say we are finally starting to enjoy singing songs about the alphabet!! When at Grandma's she was playing with a baby Leapster toy that plays only a small portion of the letters at a time Gabby will sing along and get the letters correct, which makes me very proud of her!  It's so cute to see how excited she gets.

Other fun ways we have been working on her letter recognition include:
  • Pointing to Letters on shirts
  • Gluing macaroni onto letters I've cut out of construction paper.  Each time she glues a noodle I say something about the letter, like "Oh your 'A' is looking great" or "Glue another noodle on the 'A'".
  • When we are at a restaurant and they give her a word search we will choose a letter and I will help her circle all of the targeted letters we can find in the word search. I love this because she is learning and behaving in the restaurant!
  • We get 3 or 4 letters (numerous different cut outs of each letter) and glue each one on a page saying "m" is for "mommy" or glue a "d" for "daddy."  Thanks to Grandma we do this activity and when she sees an "m" she still doesn't say the name of the letter but she says "Mommy".
  • I bought a puzzle of all the letters and we place them in the puzzle together, but she only has an attention span long enough to do about half of the puzzle before being bored.
  • We have flashcards, but she isn't really interested in them unless she already know the answers so I mix about 5 animals or pictures she know to every one new letter I am trying to teach her so she feels successful and enjoys the activity.
  • We've also just drawn letters with glue and then sprinkled glitter 
  • We have fun magnetic letters for the fridge she loves playing with as well.
  • We put a dab of finger paint in  a Ziplock and I put a piece of paper with a letter drawn on it for her to trace.
I also plan on the following activities:
  • Putting letters (maybe the ones from the fridge) in rice and having her fish them out
  • Putting letters in Easter eggs and having her open them
  • Fishing for magnetic letters with a magnet
The ideas are endless. My goal is to make it fun and not feel like work so she WANTS to do the activities.  Hopefully she will start learning her letters soon.

Here is another song that Gabby loves that teaches the letter "T."  I am sad to admit that I catch myself singing this song a little too often, but hey if it's catchy enough for me hopefully it's sinking into her little brain.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 3rd Mother's Day

It's hard to believe that Sunday was the third time I've been able to celebrate Mother's Day.  This Mother's Day was especially special because I became a godmother to Aiden and Addison, some of our closest friends two children.  We woke up that morning got dressed and headed to church to watch the baptism of some of the cutest kids I ever met.  They church had us sit in the front row for ease of baptizing, but it made it far more difficult for us to contain our kids.  The baptism was at the very beginning of the sermon.  Less than 5 minutes after the baptism Gabby made a noise talking to Daddy, (I doubt the people next to us could even hear) the minister came up to me and offered to show me where the day care was.  She was very polite and sweet, but I knew I could not exactly refuse.  I have never left Gabby with a stranger, not for 30 seconds, so I walked in to the nursery and Gabby instantly began coloring.  Once Addison appeared (because the m...

Christmas Eve Elf Shenanigans

I thought we would give you a glimpse of some of the silly things Mr. Elfis (our Elf) did Christmas Eve before returning to Santa Claus.  We went to Dallas on Monday and luckily our elf (who Gabby named Snowball, then Snowball Snow Flake, but whose name is really Mr. Elfis) hopped in a car seat so he could make the journey safely to Grandma and Grandpa's and meet Ralphie, Emma and Brody's Elf. Here are the shenanigans they got into while waiting for Santa to arrive and while we were all asleep: Proof that the elves took these photos all by themselves.  If you look closely between the first two photos you can see Mr. Elfis' hand move pushing the button.   Snacking on the kid's gingerbread houses. Drinking Gabby's milk hanging upside down. What were they thinking?! Soaring with the eagles (Gabby's favorite bird). Ralphie riding a horse. Ralphie sneaking in a stocking. Mr. Elfis sliding down the banister ...

JJ Watt

Anyone who knows Gabby knows she is a crazy cat baby and that is no exaggeration.  She believes she can speak cat, chooses clothing with cats on them, calls her cat, Lila, her sister, wants to be a cat babysitter when she grows up, and literally has at least 100 toys that are cats.  This girl is obsessed and has been since she was two.  Any time we ask her what she wants as a gift her answer is always a cat. Well her dream came true one day recently.  I kept dropping not so subtle hints that cats were only $5 at the SPCA.  One day Michael said lets go look at kittens. I literally thought he was just thinking Gabby would be in kitty heaven and we were going to look, but when we arrived Michael kept saying things as though we had decided to get a kitten. So after a very long wait we went and looked at hundreds of cats and kittens, but little JJ Watt stole her heart the moment she saw him and that was it we had found our newest family member. ...