Skip to main content

Sacrafices for My Angel

Everyone knows that being a parent is full of sacrifices and some are more difficult than others. So far being a Mom I have "sacrificed" my skin thanks to stretch marks, my youthfulness, thanks to the worries that cause the new wrinkles I notice weekly, my pretty legs thanks to the varicose veins I received during pregnancy that never went away, the comfort of sitting thanks to the back pain I have had ever since pregnancy, a good night’s sleep, and the list goes on... However, none of these things truly feel like a sacrifice (although I do miss sleep and my non-damaged body) they are just part of being a mommy and I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything!

Today, however, a very difficult sacrifice was made, although I know it was the only choice. Ranger, the dog Michael and I had for 7 ½ years, was given to a new home today. He bit Gabby on her head when she was about 9 months old and then about a week ago he nipped at her and unfortunately that was the last straw. My cousin Susie graciously agreed to adopt him with one condition, he had to be neutered! So 2 days later Ranger was genderless and 3 days later he moved to his new home two hours away in Nacogdoches. Moral of the story: Don’t hurt my kid or I will cut off your balls (or the equivocal if you are female) with no remorse and no questions asked!


I cried on and off all day yesterday, because the inevitable would arrive at day light and it’s necessary to grieve for a loss of a loved one, even if it’s only a dog! So far today I have made it through without tears, but I am constantly wondering how he is doing and hoping he quickly adjusts to his new loving family. I have worked very hard to keep busy today to keep from thinking of Ranger. Since I woke up this morning I have cleaned the house, cooked breakfast, entertained friends for a few hours, cooked lunch, ran a few errands, hand made invitations for little party I am planning, hand made two signs for a surprise celebration at my work, visited my parents for a few hours, visited my Aunt Ellen and cousin Chelli, drove home, bathed Gabby, read her books, put her to bed, made bread pudding, washed and folded two loads of laundry, and written this blog…now I need to go to bed!

Bittersweet is one of my favorite types of chocolate, but not my favorite of emotions. The loss of Ranger is bitter sweet, bitter because I will miss him and so will Gabby, but sweet because I know he went to a good family and I no longer have to worry about Gabby or our future baby’s safety. If I could say anything to Ranger (and he actually understand) I would say this: “Ranger, I love you and I wish you would have made better choices so you could continue to be part of our family. No one would have been a better friend than Gabby. Why not love your best friend rather than worry about yourself and harm a perfect angel? I wish the best for you and hope your new family spoils you and gives you the attention you deserve! We still love you and miss you.”

I am not going to dwell on the loss of Ranger because Mike gave me good advice. Just watch Gabby laugh and your worries will wash away. She is definitely worth the choice and I know I will not regret it because she is safe. Gabby may miss her chore of feeding him twice a day (which was precious), but otherwise I don’t think it will take long until she forgets about him….Sad but true! This Ranger, is my tribute to you!

Comments

Our Cajun Roots said…
Aw, this one brought me to tears! :(

Bittersweet indeed...she's worth it!

Popular posts from this blog

My 3rd Mother's Day

It's hard to believe that Sunday was the third time I've been able to celebrate Mother's Day.  This Mother's Day was especially special because I became a godmother to Aiden and Addison, some of our closest friends two children.  We woke up that morning got dressed and headed to church to watch the baptism of some of the cutest kids I ever met.  They church had us sit in the front row for ease of baptizing, but it made it far more difficult for us to contain our kids.  The baptism was at the very beginning of the sermon.  Less than 5 minutes after the baptism Gabby made a noise talking to Daddy, (I doubt the people next to us could even hear) the minister came up to me and offered to show me where the day care was.  She was very polite and sweet, but I knew I could not exactly refuse.  I have never left Gabby with a stranger, not for 30 seconds, so I walked in to the nursery and Gabby instantly began coloring.  Once Addison appeared (because the m...

Christmas Eve Elf Shenanigans

I thought we would give you a glimpse of some of the silly things Mr. Elfis (our Elf) did Christmas Eve before returning to Santa Claus.  We went to Dallas on Monday and luckily our elf (who Gabby named Snowball, then Snowball Snow Flake, but whose name is really Mr. Elfis) hopped in a car seat so he could make the journey safely to Grandma and Grandpa's and meet Ralphie, Emma and Brody's Elf. Here are the shenanigans they got into while waiting for Santa to arrive and while we were all asleep: Proof that the elves took these photos all by themselves.  If you look closely between the first two photos you can see Mr. Elfis' hand move pushing the button.   Snacking on the kid's gingerbread houses. Drinking Gabby's milk hanging upside down. What were they thinking?! Soaring with the eagles (Gabby's favorite bird). Ralphie riding a horse. Ralphie sneaking in a stocking. Mr. Elfis sliding down the banister ...

JJ Watt

Anyone who knows Gabby knows she is a crazy cat baby and that is no exaggeration.  She believes she can speak cat, chooses clothing with cats on them, calls her cat, Lila, her sister, wants to be a cat babysitter when she grows up, and literally has at least 100 toys that are cats.  This girl is obsessed and has been since she was two.  Any time we ask her what she wants as a gift her answer is always a cat. Well her dream came true one day recently.  I kept dropping not so subtle hints that cats were only $5 at the SPCA.  One day Michael said lets go look at kittens. I literally thought he was just thinking Gabby would be in kitty heaven and we were going to look, but when we arrived Michael kept saying things as though we had decided to get a kitten. So after a very long wait we went and looked at hundreds of cats and kittens, but little JJ Watt stole her heart the moment she saw him and that was it we had found our newest family member. ...