Skip to main content

Big Girl Bed

About a month ago we started a sticker chart system for Gabby to earn a "big girl bed." After about three days of earning her stickers by not crying an going to bed nicely, she climbed out of her bed. The next day she attempted to do the same thing again. She found a way around the sticker chart system, but we didn't want her to realize this.

One day she spent the night at my parents' house so Michael and I could have a date night and go to a Halloween party. When Gabby came gone the next day and went into her room she discovered her big girl bed!

We kept the sticker chart and told her we would take her big girl bed away and she would have to go back into a crib if she did not stay in her bed. Amazingly she stays in her bed all night; however, nap times are a different story. She no longer cries when we put her to bed and goes to bed with a lot less protesting. We just knew that the transition from crib to bed was going to be weeks of sleeplessness for us, but like always she surprised us.

The funniest part if her bed is when people ask her about her "big girl bed." Gabby excitedly tells anyone who will listen that Daddy broke her bed and made it into a big bed that she can get out of.  She is doing wonderfully in her bed.  She stays in it and sleeps through the night. I think she loves the liberation of a big girl bed. Her "big girl bed" transition has actually made putting Gabby to bed a pleasant event, rather than the headache it used to be. I think since we waited until she was at an age where she understands the rules and the consequences of breaking the rules it makes the bed the best decision we've made.  I suppose it's the universe taking pity on us.  It must figure we've paid our dues with two and a half years of protesting bed time.  Thank you universe for the reprieve!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Eve Elf Shenanigans

I thought we would give you a glimpse of some of the silly things Mr. Elfis (our Elf) did Christmas Eve before returning to Santa Claus.  We went to Dallas on Monday and luckily our elf (who Gabby named Snowball, then Snowball Snow Flake, but whose name is really Mr. Elfis) hopped in a car seat so he could make the journey safely to Grandma and Grandpa's and meet Ralphie, Emma and Brody's Elf. Here are the shenanigans they got into while waiting for Santa to arrive and while we were all asleep: Proof that the elves took these photos all by themselves.  If you look closely between the first two photos you can see Mr. Elfis' hand move pushing the button.   Snacking on the kid's gingerbread houses. Drinking Gabby's milk hanging upside down. What were they thinking?! Soaring with the eagles (Gabby's favorite bird). Ralphie riding a horse. Ralphie sneaking in a stocking. Mr. Elfis sliding down the banister ...

My 3rd Mother's Day

It's hard to believe that Sunday was the third time I've been able to celebrate Mother's Day.  This Mother's Day was especially special because I became a godmother to Aiden and Addison, some of our closest friends two children.  We woke up that morning got dressed and headed to church to watch the baptism of some of the cutest kids I ever met.  They church had us sit in the front row for ease of baptizing, but it made it far more difficult for us to contain our kids.  The baptism was at the very beginning of the sermon.  Less than 5 minutes after the baptism Gabby made a noise talking to Daddy, (I doubt the people next to us could even hear) the minister came up to me and offered to show me where the day care was.  She was very polite and sweet, but I knew I could not exactly refuse.  I have never left Gabby with a stranger, not for 30 seconds, so I walked in to the nursery and Gabby instantly began coloring.  Once Addison appeared (because the m...

Two and a Half!

It has been far too long since I've written because Gabby has been keeping me busy (not to mention Mike being gone more means I am busier all around).  Today to celebrate Gabby's 2 1/2 year mark I will give you a little insight into the milestones she has met: Gabby can snip paper She talks constantly in complete sentences: "Mommy you my best friend. Come here and play with me!" were her phrases of the day The funnies words she says: peanut butter, balloon...basically anything with an "l" in it Gabby can ride a tricycle Gabby can navigate and i-phone, find her apps, and play them Gabby can put on her own socks and shoes She can eat with a spoon and fork without any help She can color with paper She can count to 11 She knows all of her shapes She know how to spell stop She can pick up after her own spills (when she wants to) She has an imagination She knows words that I have never said to her She can do basic puzzles She can problem solve ...