Skip to main content

This Little Piggy

Okay, I haven't been inspired to write lately.  Not that Gabby doesn't inspire my life every day, but I think she takes all of the energy out of me lately, but I found this amusing so I thought I needed to share it. 

Last night Michael stubbed one of his toes (this is not the amusing part) on the way to bed after turning the light off last night.  I asked him which toe he stubbed and he said, "I don't know, the ring pinky toe." I informed him that he just described two different toes with finger terminology.  So sarcastically he said the metacarpal (something I don't remember).  I laughed and asked him where he heard that and he said he just made it up or it was off of "Bones" or something.  So after our little quips back and forth he grabbed his phone at 11:00 at night and looked up metacarpal (which I was impressed to find out is really something, but it has to do with your hand) and he decided we needed to know what to call each individual toe to save him from my endless questioning regarding a stubbed toe in the future.

To my amusement and his as well we discovered the following thanks to Wikipedia:
 (Please read this it's worth it I promise)

porcellus fori (big toe), translation: little pig at market
p. domi (second toe); translation: baby pig at home
p. carnivorus (third toe), translation: meat-eating piglet

p. nonvoratus (fourth digit) translation: small pig that has not eaten

p. plorans domum (smallest toe) translation: piggy crying all the way home
The text of the 18th-century rhyme, which parents still use when playing with their little children's toes, starting by wiggling the hallux and then each smaller toe in turn:

This little piggy went to market.
This little piggy stayed home.
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy cried "Wee! Wee! Wee!" all the way home.
So when we are playing with Gabby and saying "This little piggy" we are using some sort of mnemonic device to remember the Latin terms for each of our toes.  My question is, how did these names stick and become the technical terms for each of our toes?!? 

Just like "Ring Around the Rosy" and other nursery rhymes there is a deeper meaning than the surface entertainment for a sweet baby. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Eve Elf Shenanigans

I thought we would give you a glimpse of some of the silly things Mr. Elfis (our Elf) did Christmas Eve before returning to Santa Claus.  We went to Dallas on Monday and luckily our elf (who Gabby named Snowball, then Snowball Snow Flake, but whose name is really Mr. Elfis) hopped in a car seat so he could make the journey safely to Grandma and Grandpa's and meet Ralphie, Emma and Brody's Elf. Here are the shenanigans they got into while waiting for Santa to arrive and while we were all asleep: Proof that the elves took these photos all by themselves.  If you look closely between the first two photos you can see Mr. Elfis' hand move pushing the button.   Snacking on the kid's gingerbread houses. Drinking Gabby's milk hanging upside down. What were they thinking?! Soaring with the eagles (Gabby's favorite bird). Ralphie riding a horse. Ralphie sneaking in a stocking. Mr. Elfis sliding down the banister ...

My 3rd Mother's Day

It's hard to believe that Sunday was the third time I've been able to celebrate Mother's Day.  This Mother's Day was especially special because I became a godmother to Aiden and Addison, some of our closest friends two children.  We woke up that morning got dressed and headed to church to watch the baptism of some of the cutest kids I ever met.  They church had us sit in the front row for ease of baptizing, but it made it far more difficult for us to contain our kids.  The baptism was at the very beginning of the sermon.  Less than 5 minutes after the baptism Gabby made a noise talking to Daddy, (I doubt the people next to us could even hear) the minister came up to me and offered to show me where the day care was.  She was very polite and sweet, but I knew I could not exactly refuse.  I have never left Gabby with a stranger, not for 30 seconds, so I walked in to the nursery and Gabby instantly began coloring.  Once Addison appeared (because the m...

Two and a Half!

It has been far too long since I've written because Gabby has been keeping me busy (not to mention Mike being gone more means I am busier all around).  Today to celebrate Gabby's 2 1/2 year mark I will give you a little insight into the milestones she has met: Gabby can snip paper She talks constantly in complete sentences: "Mommy you my best friend. Come here and play with me!" were her phrases of the day The funnies words she says: peanut butter, balloon...basically anything with an "l" in it Gabby can ride a tricycle Gabby can navigate and i-phone, find her apps, and play them Gabby can put on her own socks and shoes She can eat with a spoon and fork without any help She can color with paper She can count to 11 She knows all of her shapes She know how to spell stop She can pick up after her own spills (when she wants to) She has an imagination She knows words that I have never said to her She can do basic puzzles She can problem solve ...